RWA Board Adopts Rules for 2014 Contests
By: Romance Writers of America on Jul 17, 2013
The RWA Board of Directors met for two productive days in Atlanta, and one of the items on the agenda for the meeting was the adoption of rules for the 2014 RITA and Golden Heart contests. We are pleased to announce some exciting changes. In furtherance of RWA’s strategic goals of raising awareness and status of the RITA Awards, and ensuring the RITA contest remains viable in light of industry evolution, the Board is pleased to announce the following:
- All published romance novels and novellas with a copyright date of 2013 are eligible to enter the 2014 RITA, including self-published works.
- Number of total entries will be increased by 66 percent (from 1,200 to 2,000).
- All author-entrants are eligible to judge the preliminary round. PAN members who are not entered in the contest also are eligible to judge the preliminary round. The final round will be judged by PAN members.
- Changes to categories:
- A category was added for Erotic Romance
- Contemporary romances will be divided into two categories: novels with fewer than 65,000 words and those with 65,000 words or more
- All entries with a minimum total score of at least 90 percent of the total possible score will advance to the final round. This means that no entry will be advantaged or disadvantaged by the number of entries in a category. Final round entries will be scored in the same manner as the preliminary round.
- Judges will be allowed to opt in to their preferred categories; they must choose at least five categories.
Please note that this is a summary and is not intended to replace or supersede the rules, which will be published soon. Members interested in a full report of actions approved at the July board meeting are welcome to read the minutes, which will be published on the RWA website within the next few weeks.
Board of Directors
Romance Writers of America, Inc.
Released: July 17, 2013, 8:48 am
Golden Heart |