RWA Membership Information
All individuals who have attained the age of 18 and who agree to accept the purposes of RWA and to faithfully observe and be bound by the bylaws of RWA shall be eligible to apply for membership.
Annual dues are $95 for General and Associate members; a $25 processing fee will apply to all new and reinstating members.
- General Membership ($95): open to all persons seriously pursuing a romance fiction writing career. Only General members shall have all rights of membership, and only General members shall have the right to vote and the right to hold office in RWA.
General members receive a copy of the Romance Writers Report magazine; have full access to the myRWA website; RWA University; member resources; receive the member rate for RWA conferences, workshops, and contests; and can apply for membership in the PRO and PAN communities.
General membership is not available to: non-writers who work in the publishing industry, writers whose main pursuit of a writing career is in something other than romance fiction, or writers who are seriously pursuing a career in romance fiction but also work as an editor or reader for a publisher or agent, and whose responsibilities in any way affect whether or not a submitting writer’s work is accepted or rejected by that publisher or agent. These individuals must apply for Associate membership within the association.
Click here to apply for membership as a General Member
* Use our easy online portal to apply for membership immediately. Your membership application will be reviewed
and a response will be sent to you as soon as possible.
* If you prefer to mail a check, complete the online application and then choose "Pay By Check". Please print a copy
of your application to mail with your check.
- Associate Membership ($95): open to all other individuals, including employees of RWA and its contractors, who support the organization and its purposes but who do not meet the requirements for General membership or who are not permitted to participate on RWA’s general discussion listservs by reason of being involved in the acquisition process*, i.e. publishers, acquiring editors, or agents who actively acquire romance fiction or actively offer representation to writers of romance fiction, as further described in RWA policy. Associate members shall not have any voting rights or the right to hold office in RWA.
RWA asks those pursuing membership as Associates to indicate if they fall into one of the following areas:
(1) ASSOCIATE - WRITER: A writer who is not seriously pursuing a career as a romance writer
Click here to apply for membership as an Associate-Writer
(2) ASSOCIATE - ACQUIRING: A publisher or acquiring editor or agent
Click here to apply for membership as an Associate - Acquiring
(3) ASSOCIATE: OTHER A person who supports the purpose of RWA but does not meet either of the qualifications described above and does not qualify for General membership (not seriously pursuing a career as a romance writer).
Click here to apply for membership as as Associate - Other
Associate members receive a copy of the Romance Writers Report magazine, have access to the myRWA website (with restrictions to industry professional access to General member forums), RWA University (only for Associate members who are writers), member resources, and receive the member rate for RWA conferences and workshops.
*“Acquisition process” means the process by which manuscripts are reviewed and evaluated by any individual who is employed or contracted by a publisher that actively acquires romance fiction or by a literary agency that represents authors of romance fiction, for the purpose of either recommending that a manuscript be considered for acquisition or representation, or be rejected and removed from consideration by that publisher or literary agency.
- Affiliate Membership ($10): open only to booksellers and librarians. Affiliate members shall not have any voting rights or the right to hold office in RWA.
Affiliate members receive a copy of Romance Sells, a quarterly publication for librarians and booksellers, as well as have access to the myRWA website and special librarian and bookseller forums. Affiliate members receive the member rate for the RWA Conference.
Download Affiliate membership application
How to Determine Your Member Type
Having trouble deciding whether you're a General or Associate member? Please review the member types above and consider if your writing career (body of work) or pursuit of a writing career is in romance fiction. (This does not mean you cannot write in other genres, but romance fiction writing must be a serious career pursuit for you.)
If you're seriously pursuing a career as a romance fiction writer, then General membership is probably right for you. Otherwise, consider joining as an Associate member.
Membership type selection is self-determined.