RWA Librarian of the Year
The RWA Librarian of the Year is awarded to a librarian who demonstrates outstanding support of romance authors and the romance genre.
To nominate a librarian for the RWA Librarian of the Year Award, click here or e-mail email@example.com.
2013 RWA Librarian of the Year
Sarah Whitten is a librarian at the Bangor Public Library in Bangor, ME. She's known to be the voice for romance fiction at her library, and she has presented the importance of romance in libraries at local and state library conferences as well as on e-mail listservs for librarians. Whitten is the cofounder of a book group called The Not Your Ordinary Book Group, which serves as a romance book group for library patrons. Also, she blogs about romances, making a significant online library presence supporting the romance genre.
RWA presented Sarah Whitten with the 2013 RWA Librarian of the Year Award at the Awards Luncheon at the 2013 RWA Conference in Atlanta, GA.
Past Recipients of the RWA Librarian of the Year Award
- 2013: Sarah Whitten, Bangor Public Library, Bangor, Maine
- 2012: Mary Moore, Huntsville-Madison County Public Library, Huntsville, Alabama
- 2011: Wendy Crutcher, OC Public Libraries, California
- 2010: Jennifer Lohmann, Durham County Library, Durham, North Carolina
- 2009: Deborah Schneider, King County Library System, King County, Washington
- 2008: Susan Gibberman, Schaumburg Township District Library, Schaumburg, Illinois
- 2007: Valerie Luna, Spotswood Public Library, Spotswood, New Jersey
- 2006: Michele Drovdahl, Sammamish Library
- 2005: Joanne Hamilton-Selway, Scottsdale Public Library, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 2004: Lynne Welch, Herrick Memorial Library, Wellington, Ohio
- 2003: Ann Smith, Gahanna, Ohio Public Library
- 2002: John Charles, Scottsdale, Arizona, Library System
- 2001: Shelley Mosley, Velma Teague Branch Library, Glendale, Arizona
- 2000: Joyce Saricks, Downers Grove Public Library, Downers Grover, Illinois
- 1999: Dr. Alison Scott, Popular Culture Library, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio
- 1998: Beverly Earls, Memphis Shelby County Public Library, Memphis, Tennesse
- 1997: Jeffrey Gegner, Hennepin County Library, Minnetonka, Minnesota
- 1996: Kristin Ramsdell, California State Univeristy, Hayword
- 1995: Mary K. Chelton, Milltown, New Jersey
Historical note: This award was established in 1995 to honor librarians who go above and beyond in their support of the romance genre, its authors, and readers.