Membership Antidiscrimination and Antiharassment Policy
RWA is committed to providing all of its members with an environment free from discrimination and harassment. RWA does not discriminate against or allow harassment of any member based on race, ethnicity, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, ancestry, pregnancy, or any other basis prohibited by law. In order to create a safe and respectful environment, discrimination and harassment of any sort is prohibited in RWA.
RWA is committed to an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to foster, develop, and advance their careers in an atmosphere that promotes equal opportunities and prohibits unlawful discriminatory practices, including harassment.
Harassment on the basis of any protected characteristic is strictly prohibited. Under this policy, harassment is any verbal, written, or physical conduct that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law, or that of his or her relatives, friends, or associates, and that: (i) has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment; (ii) has the purpose or effect of interfering with an individual’s performance or ability to participate in RWA programs or events; or (iii) otherwise affects an individual’s ability to participate in RWA programs or events.
Harassing conduct includes epithets, slurs, or negative stereotyping; threatening, intimidating, or hostile acts; denigrating jokes; and written or graphic material that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual or group.
Sexual harassment means any unwelcome conduct, comment, gesture, or contact of a sexual nature, whether on a one-time basis or in a continuous series of incidents that might reasonably be expected to offend or embarrass an individual. Sexual harassment also includes any unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical unwelcome conduct.
As a professional association, RWA is committed to diversity, equity, professional treatment of ideas, and respectful treatment of all members, employees, and volunteers. RWA seeks to provide a professional atmosphere in which diverse participants may learn, network, and otherwise participate in an environment of mutual respect. Conduct that is prohibited includes but is not limited to:
- Harassment or intimidation based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, physical appearance, body size, or any other characteristic protected by law
- Sexual harassment or intimidation, including unwelcome sexual attention, stalking, or unsolicited physical contact
- Harassment, intimidation, or coercion based upon a position as a board member, committee member, employee, or any position of influence
- Abusive, lewd, or threatening conduct
- Bullying, harassment, or unprofessional conduct toward members, employees, volunteers, or other participants in or at RWA programs or events
- Physical violence or threats of violence
- Sexually charged communications or conduct