Become a Mentee
Mentee applications open April 3, 2023.
RWA General and Associate-Writer Members who have not been a 2021 or 2022 RAMP mentee.
Applicants must be unpublished.
Applicants must have a completed, polished manuscript at the time of entry. This means the manuscript has gone through the editorial process of individuals who know the craft of writing romance (critique partners, beta readers, a freelance editor, et al). The mentors' job is to work with you to make your manuscript the best it can be, not to edit it from the ground up.
Applicant’s manuscript is not out on submission to an agent or editor.
Application Submission Requirements
Applicants may only submit one manuscript.
Submitted manuscripts must:
- Be a work of original Romance Fiction, which means the work contains a central love story, and the resolution of the romance must be emotionally satisfying and optimistic
- Be complete and have gone through the editorial process of individuals who know the craft of writing romance (critique partners, beta readers, a freelance editor, et al), with a word count totaling at least 40,000 words
- Be previously unpublished
- Not be published until after the RWA Pitch Showcase has ended, if the applicant is selected as a mentee (this only applies to the manuscript submitted for RAMP, not to any other works by the author)
- Not be out on submission to an agent or editor until after the RAMP Pitch Showcase has ended, if the applicant is selected as a mentee (this only applies to the manuscript submitted for RAMP, not to any other works by the author)
Applicants must upload the following on their application, each as separate PDF Files:
- Story Summary (one page, single-spaced, 12-point font, 1" margins)
- First 3 chapters (double-spaced, 12-point font, 1" margins)
- Full manuscript (double-spaced, 12-point font, 1" margins. Please note: you are asked to supply the full version of their manuscript so that RWA staff can verify that it is complete per requirements. The full manuscript will not be shared with anyone outside of RWA staff and will be deleted upon verification.
These files will be sent to all mentors to whom you identify as the ones you want to work with. They should not be personalized to any mentor. Incomplete applications will not move forward in the RAMP process.
Mentors may request more material or ask follow up questions to help with their selection.
Before the mentee application opens, potential mentees will be able to review the bio and wish list of participating mentors. Once applications open, mentees will be able to select up to five (5) mentors to whom they wish to submit their work. Not all mentee applicants will be accepted by a mentor.
Applicants must complete an application and submit the required materials as listed under Submission Materials.
The mentors will review the application, story summary, and first three chapters of the completed manuscript during a period of four weeks before selecting a mentee with whom they wish to work.
For RAMP 2023, mentees will be announced on June 9. All applicants will be notified via email of their status no less than 24-hours prior to the announcement of selected mentees.
Selected mentees will then work with their mentors over the course of 16-week. The goal at the end of this period is for the mentee to have a manuscript and collateral materials that are ready to submit to an editor or agent, or ready to go to a copy editor or proofreader before self-publication.
What to Expect from Your Mentor
Minimally, we expect mentors to:
Perform one edit round on the full manuscript and provide feedback to the mentee in a mutually agreed upon format
Perform one edit round on either a query letter, 50-word pitch, and/or a back cover blurb, depending on mentee’s preference
Answer questions about the business of writing, publishing, and reaching their indie-author or traditionally-published goals.
Optionally, mentors may elect to perform a final read-through of their mentee's manuscript before the showcase begins.
The Big Events!
RAMP Pitch Showcase
RAMP will culminate in a pitch showcase.
During the week-long RAMP Pitch Showcase, mentees will submit a 50-word pitch to a group community forum. Participating agents and editors will be able to review the pitch and request more materials from those that interest them.
Indie Author Weekend
RAMP mentees who complete the full sixteen (16) weeks will receive free registration to RWA’s Indie Author Weekend.
This 2-day, virtual mini conference is an opportunity to gain a realistic working knowledge of what goes into self-publishing a romance novel, develop strategies to set yourself up for success, meet some major players who are important pieces to self-publishing, and get straight answers to your questions about self-publishing a romance novel that sells.
Important Mentee Dates for RAMP 2023
Mentee submissions open
Mentee submissions close
Applicants notified of their status
Zoom meeting with mentors and mentees
RAMP 2023 begins
July Date TBA
: Pen2Paper/RAMP Mixer at RWA Annual Conference
Email invitation sent to join pitch forum
October 2, 2023 - October 6, 2023:
RAMP Pitch Week (RAMP mentees post 50-word pitch)
Agents and editors review pitches up until November 3
October 21, 2023 - October 22, 2023
: Indie Author Weekend