For the purposes of Romance Writers of America, to be RWA-Eligible, an agent must:
- Be commission-based;
- Charge no fees to authors beyond reimbursement of legitimate, actual, and verified expenses that are not deemed excessive and are agreed to in advance by the author; and
- Satisfy one of the following requirements to indicate industry experience:
- Be currently associated with an RWA-Eligible Agency, or have been associated with an RWA- Eligible Agency for at least three of the previous five years, or own her/his own commission-based literary agency for a period of three years or longer, and
- Have sold, in the previous year, at least three romance novels, each of which would qualify a member for PAN, or
- Have sold, in the previous three years, at least 10 book-length works of fiction, for which each received an advance of at least $1,000.
- Acquire no publication rights on behalf of him/herself or his/her agency.
To be or remain eligible for recognition, agents must: Resolve any formal complaint against them in RWA’s Professional Relations File, and comply with the Industry Code. Any RWA-Eligible Agent found to have been violating these requirements will no longer receive the benefits of eligibility.
RWA makes no warranties regarding business practices or financial strength of any agency/agent.
Find our list of RWA-Eligible Agents here
Report new information or inaccuracies