The RWA Board of Directors had a productive meeting in San Diego, November 10-11. Here are some highlights from the meeting:
- The Board approved a $4 dues increase, which will be effective as of January 2016 renewals dates.
- The Board approved the RWA2016 conference speakers. Keynote Speaker: Beverly Jenkins, Saturday Featured Speaker: Sherry Thomas, Librarians Day Speaker: Jennifer Armentrout, and Awards Ceremony Emcee: Roxanne St. Claire.
- RWA2016 registration fees were set at $450 for RWA member early registration, $500 for RWA member late registration, and $600 for RWA member onsite registration. The nonmember early registration fee is $525, the late fee is $575, and the nonmember onsite fee is $675.
- The Board reviewed the Diversity Committee’s suggestions for improvement, including changes to the way conference speakers and RWR articles are selected, as well as changes in leadership development. The Board discussed diversity problems in the publishing industry and added a section to the Policies and Procedures Manual providing that industry professionals involved in RWA shall not refuse to work with any member on account of the member’s race, ethnicity, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
- The Board also discussed ways RWA can better accommodate differently abled members at the conference such as priority seating, closed-captioning, and a dedicated on-call ADA staff member. Work on diversity issues is an ongoing priority.
- The Board approved chapter longevity milestones to acknowledge chapters who have been affiliated with RWA for 10 years, and for every five years thereafter.
- The Board approved the creation of an online forum for RWA’s Honor Roll authors.
Minutes from the November meeting will be posted to the RWA website in the next few weeks.