Protect Your Rights! New Piracy Site Discovered
RWA recently learned about a website that offers free, illegal downloads of copyrighted works, including many romance novels. The site claims to be “pretty much just YouTube for Children's eBooks," and includes a statement that the owners don’t do any sort of screening or filtering of content. Despite its claim to be for children’s books, our examination indicates the site provides access to copyrighted works from many genres. The site is http://www.epubbud.com. We are notifying you today so that you can check the site and send takedown notices for any of your titles. Takedown notices must be sent by copyright owners or their agents, so unfortunately, RWA cannot send notices on behalf of authors.
There are some things you need to know in order to locate all your books. Some books are posted with slightly adjusted titles and a different — or no — author name, so you should search not only by author name but by book title, series designation (if applicable) and keywords.
According to instructions found at http://www.epubbud.com/terms.php, copyright owners must include the following in each takedown notice:
- Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
- Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
- Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact you, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that you are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
ePub Bud's designated Copyright Agent to receive notifications of claimed infringement is: Josh Jones, 427 California Ave, Unit 1, Santa Monica, CA 90403, e-mail: email@example.com, fax: 310-862-4900. Copyright owners must comply with all of the requirements for the DMCA notice to be valid.
A sample takedown notice can be found on the RWA website. Please paste the following link into your browser: http://my.rwa.org/p/do/si/topic=304&type=0 (myRWA log-in req.), or log in to the RWA website and click on Member Resources. From the drop-down menu, select Professional Relations and then click on Fight Internet Piracy. A link to the sample letter is on the Fight Internet Piracy page, http://my.rwa.org/p/cm/ld/fid=60.