RWA Board Meeting
November 19-20, 2011
Anaheim Marriott, Anaheim, California
Prior to the Board meeting, Board orientation was conducted on Friday morning, November 18. In the afternoon, the Board discussed aspects of the Strategic Plan.
The RWA Board of Directors had a very productive meeting. The following items were discussed, and motions were enacted:
1. The 2011 election results as certified by Survey and Ballot systems were approved by the Board.
2. The budget for the fiscal year ending 10/31/2012 was presented and approved.
3. The speakers and award ceremony emcee for the 2012 RWA National Conference are as follows:
Keynote Speaker: Stephanie Laurens
Special Luncheon Speaker: Robyn Carr
Librarians’ Day Luncheon Speaker: Kerrelyn Sparks
Awards Ceremony Emcee: Victoria Alexander
4. The 2012 National Conference fee was set. In response to last year’s comments, breakfast and desserts will be returning. The staff worked hard to make the registration rate as low as possible. For members: $495 for early registration; $545 for late registration; $645 for onsite registration. For non-members: $570 for early registration; $620 for late registration; $720 for onsite registration.
5. The Board approved the affiliation applications for the Sunshine State Romance Authors RWA Chapter and the Palmetto Romance Writers Chapter (Greenville/Spartanburg area).
6. The Board approved the changing of RWA’s slogan from “The Voice of Romance Fiction” to “The Voice of Romance Writers.”
7. To further RWA’s Strategic Plan, the Board approved the formation of a task force to explore how the changes in the practices of many literary agencies might be addressed in RWA policies and procedures.
8. To continue to provide the current level of services and benefits, the Board approved a $10 dues increase.
9. The Board approved the formation of a task force to study the feasibility of disseminating video recordings of highlights of the RWA Awards Ceremony to the RWA website and other social media sources.
10. The Board approved the formation of a task force to evaluate current trends in self-publishing and to determine ways in which RWA can address industry changes while also maintaining our mission to writers.
11. The Board approved the formation of a task force to review myRWA forum policy.
Contact any board member if you have questions.
Permission to forward to RWA members only.
Secretary, RWA Board of Directors