The purpose of RWA’s Golden Heart contest is to promote excellence in the romance genre by recognizing outstanding manuscripts written by members who have not published a Novel or Novella.*
The Golden Heart contest is open to RWA members who have not accepted a publishing offer for, or Self-Published, a work of original fictional narrative prose of 20,000 words or more by January 11, 2018. Entered works must not be published as long as they are under consideration for the Award.
Previously entered manuscripts may be entered again, but no previous Golden Heart-winning manuscript can be entered, even if revised.
Each entry must be an original work of Romance Fiction, which means the work must contain a central love story, and the resolution of the romance must be emotionally satisfying and optimistic. The work must be at least 40,000 words as determined by computer word count.
The 2018 Golden Heart Contest opens to entries at 9:00 a.m. CT on December 1, 2017.
Entry fee: $30 (per entry)
The 2018 Golden Heart contest will open for entries at 9:00 AM CT on December 1, 2017. Entered works and related contest fees must be submitted to RWA's contest site no later than 5:00 PM CT on January 11, 2018. Entrants who fail to meet this deadline will be disqualified, and the entry fee will be forfeited.
- If you are not already logged into myRWA, you will be prompted to log in to myRWA.
Rules and Agreement page
- Confirm that you have read the rules and guidelines by clicking the circle next to the following statement: “I agree to the terms and conditions.”
- Click Continue.
- Select the category you wish to enter by clicking on the words “Click to answer.” The 2018 Golden Heart Contest categories will appear. Select a category.
- If you wish to select a secondary category, click on the “Click to answer” field and select the category from the pull down menu.
- In the event that your first choice category is cancelled, and you prefer a refund, select yes. Select no if you have selected a secondary category.
- If your entry is written under a pseudonym, enter your pseudonym in the appropriate fields.
- Enter manuscript title by clicking the “Click to answer” field.
- Enter the Word Count be clicking the “Click to answer” field.
- Upload your synopsis. Click on “Click to answer.” Only .pdf documents may be uploaded. Click browse - the software will open a search window so that you can locate your document. Click on the document and then click Open. Click Upload this File, located in green text.
- Upload your partial manuscript. Click on “Click to answer.” Only .pdf documents may be uploaded. Click browse - the software will open a search window so that you can locate your document. Click on the document and then click Open. Click Upload this File, located in green text.
- Upload you full manuscript. Click on “Click to answer.” Only .pdf documents may be uploaded. Click browse - the software will open a search window so that you can locate your document. Click on the document and then click Open. Click Upload this File, located in green text..
- Review all fields, if correct click on the word Draft and select Final.
- The page will refresh and then change to the Payment: Choose Entries page.
- If you are only entering one title, check the box next to your entry and then click the Continue to Details button located at bottom of page..
- If you wish to enter additional titles and pay for all entries at one time, click on the New Nomination located at bottom of page.
- Repeat the entry process.
- Once you have entered all titles, and are ready to pay, check the boxes next to each title listed.
- Click Pay Now.
- The total amount due will be listed at the top of the page. Enter payment information and billing address for the credit card used in the transaction.
- Click Proceed to Verify.
- Review information; if correct click the Pay Now button.
- Click Logout in the upper right corner of the screen.
- You will receive a receipt e-mail within a few minutes of entry.
Special Note: Entrants must upload a synopsis, a partial manuscript, and a full manuscript at the time of entry. Entrants may return and replace the documents up until 5:00 p.m. CT on the contest deadline date - January 11, 2018.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
*For the purpose of determining eligibility to enter the Golden Heart contest, RWA defines a “Novel” to mean a work of fiction of more than 40,000 words (as defined by computer word count) that has been commercially available. “Novella” means a work of fiction of 20,000-40,000 words (as defined by computer word count) that has been commercially available.