The RWA Vivian Stephens Industry Award is presented to one or more professionals in the romance-publishing industry, who is not a writer, who has contributed to the genre or to RWA in a significant and/or continuing manner.
Named for one of RWA's founders, the RWA Vivian Stephens Industry Award is for an accumulated body of work and may not be presented every year if no candidate is clearly identified as meeting the level of excellence established by past recipients of the award.
2016 RWA Vivian Stephens Industry Award Recipient
Carrie Feron, Senior Vice President/Executive Editor, HarperCollins
HarperCollins Senior Vice President/Executive Editor Carrie Feron has loved the romance genre since she first began to read, spent her days as an English major at the University of Richmond reading love stories disguised as literature, and has always worked on women's voices through her career. From her early days at Pageant Books through her time at Bantam Loveswept to her days at Berkley and for the past 22 years at Avon, she has supported her authors and the genre and considers herself lucky to have a job she loves. Her current list includes Meg Cabot, Eloisa James, Lisa Kleypas, Sarah MacLean, and Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Through her career, Feron has edited such authors as Sandra Brown, Janet Evanovich, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Johanna Lindsey and Nora Roberts, to name a few.
Past RWA Industry Award Recipients
- 2015: Mary-Theresa Hussey, Harlequin Books
- 2014: Debra Dixon, BelleBooks, and Brenda Chin, ImaJin Books
- 2013: Bette-Lee Fox, Library Journal
- 2012: Barbara Vey, Publishers Weekly
- 2011: award not given
- 2010: Eileen Hutton, VP, Associate Publisher (retired), Brilliance Audio
- 2009: Tracy Farrell, editor-at-large, Harlequin Enterprises
- 2008: Sue Grimshaw, romance buyer, Borders Group
- 2007: Linda Marrow, vice president/editorial director, Ballantine
- 2006: Lucia Macro, executive editor, Avon Books
- 2005: Leslie Wainger, executive editor, Harlequin Enterprises
- 2004: Donna Hayes, publisher and CEO Harlequin Enterprises, and Isabel Swift, vice president of editorial, Harlequin Enterprises
- 2003: Donna Seaman, Booklist
- 2002: award not given
- 2001: Carol Stacy, Romantic Times publisher
- 2000: Jeff Bezos, president & CEO, Amazon.com
- 1999: award not given
- 1998: Daisy Maryles, executive editor, Publishers Weekly
- 1997: Kay Murray, attorney, Authors Guild
- 1996: Evan M. Fogelman, literary agent
- 1995: Gerald Ratcliff, bookseller
- 1994: Richard Curtis, literary agent
- 1993: Jayne Ann Krentz, author
- 1992: Marilyn Black, publisher, Meteor Kismet
- 1991: Kate Duffy, executive editor, Meteor Kismet
Historical note: Waldenbooks was awarded special recognition for contributions to the romance genre in 1990, prior to the inception of the Industry award in 1991. The award was presented to the Waldenbooks romance expert committee comprised of Jennifer McCord, Frances Perrine and Mary Grigg. Prior to 2006, the Vivian Stephens Industry Award was known as the Industry Award. The award name was changed in order to honor one of RWA's founders, Vivian Stephens.