RWA Board Meeting
November 2-4, 2012
Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Atlanta GA
Prior to the Board meeting, Board orientation was conducted on Friday morning, November 2. On Saturday, November 3, the Board participated in a strategic planning session and developed a strategic plan to assist in keeping RWA relevant in a rapidly changing environment.
The RWA Board of Directors had a very productive meeting. The following items were discussed, and motions were enacted:
1. The 2012 election results as certified by Survey and Ballot systems were approved by the Board.
2. The Board approved the appointment of Leslie Kelly to serve as Director-at-large for the 2012-2013 Board year.
3. The budget for the fiscal year ending 10/31/2013 was presented and approved.
4. The Board approved the waiving of late fees related to dues payments for members affected by Hurricane Sandy.
5. The speakers and award ceremony emcee for the 2013 RWA National Conference are as follows:
Keynote Speaker: Cathy Maxwell
Special Luncheon Speaker: Kristan Higgins
Librarians’ Day Luncheon Speaker: Jill Shalvis
Awards Ceremony Emcee: Christie Craig
6. The 2013 National Conference fee was set. The staff worked hard to make the registration rate as low as possible. For members: $450 for early registration; $500 for late registration; $600 for onsite registration. For non-members: $525 for early registration; $575 for late registration; $675 for onsite registration.
7. The Board approved policy to extend conference promotion and sponsorship opportunities to authors.
8. The Board amended policy to allow Associate Members who are pursuing careers as fiction writers to participate in forum discussions when the new website is launched in December, 2012.
9. In order to allow self-published works to be promoted in Romance Sells, the Board amended related policy to include works of Romance Fiction.
10. The Board granted provisional status to the Romancing the Lakes Chapter.
11. A task force was formed to review policy governing chapters. The Board approved a moratorium on the formation of new chapters until the task force findings and recommendations could be discussed at the March 2013 Board Meeting.
Contact any board member if you have questions.
Permission to forward to RWA members only.
Secretary, RWA Board of Directors