Romance Writers of America (RWA) is very aware of the critical need for security and privacy for our users and members. To that end the following document describes how we control private information on www.rwa.org and www.myrwa.org. In our privacy statement we will outline:
- What personally identifiable information RWA collects.
- What personally identifiable information third parties collect through the website.
- What organization collects the information.
- How RWA uses the information.
- With whom RWA may share user information.
- What choices are available to users regarding collection, use and distribution of the information.
- What types of security procedures are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of information under Socious control.
- How users can correct any inaccuracies in the information.
Please read the following document carefully, and if you have questions or concerns regarding this statement, you should first contact email@example.com.
1. Information Collection
RWA is the sole owner of the information collected on www.rwa.org and www.myrwa.org. RWA collects information from our users at several different points on our website.
- External marketing pages
- No secure information is requested or gathered on RWA's external (public) marketing pages.
- In order to use this website, a user must first complete the registration form. During registration, a user is required to give contact information (such as name and email address). We use this information to contact the user about services on our site for which s/he has expressed interest. It is optional for the user to provide demographic and profile information, but it is encouraged so we can provide a more personalized experience on our site.
- User and Group Information
- Other members of RWA may view information you provide about yourself and your organization. This information includes such items as Email Address and other information you provide. At any time you may opt out of allowing other users to view this information. By removing the information from the system, other users will not be able to see it. RWA does not store this information after you remove it—in order to enable it again, you must re-enter the information. Organization pages include basic demographic information including mailing address, contact phone number, and primary contact person. Individuals can opt out of some of these pieces of information (contact phone number, contact person) by not providing the information.
- Vendors/Corporate Users
- Vendors and corporate users are never given access to user pages but are able to view organization pages.
- During your use of this website, you may wish to participate in our Forum Communities by asking questions or responding to other users' questions. Any information you provide within this area may be viewed by other members of the private community in which you are participating but not by any other RWA members who are not given access to the community. It is encouraged that you never provide any sensitive or private information in this area. When these items are displayed for others to see, the RWA website will display your name, your message, and your signature file (should you create one). If no signature file is created, your name will appear by default.
- File Libraries
- During your use of this website, you may wish to take advantage of our File Libraries by downloading or providing files for other users. Any information you provide within this area may be viewed by other members as allowed by private credentials. It is encouraged that you never provide any sensitive or private information.
- Blogs and News
- During your use of this website, you may wish to participate in our blogs and/or news items. Any information you provide within this area may be viewed by other members having compatible credentials within the community. It is encouraged that you never provide any sensitive or private information in this area.
2. Information Use
- We store information that we collect through cookies, and log files and users to create a profile of our users. A profile is stored information that we keep on individual users that details their viewing preferences. Consequently, collected information is tied to the users personally identifiable information to implement the content of the site for the user. This profile is used to tailor a user's visit to our website. Your profile will only be shared as part of an aggregate form with no personal or identifiable information.
- A cookie is a piece of data stored on the user's computer tied to information about the user. Usage of a cookie is in no way linked to any personally identifiable information while on our site. We only use session ID cookies. For the session ID cookie, once users close the browser, the cookie simply terminates.
- Log Files
- Like most standard website servers, we use log files. This includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses, etc. are not linked to personally identifiable information and are never given to third parties. Aggregate information may be used by the RWA in order to provide vendor partners with more detailed information on our clients usage and for the RWA to enhance our services.
3. Communications from the Site
- Community Correspondence
- One of the primary missions of RWA is to provide networking to our members. To that end, www.rwa.org and www.myrwa.org provide a variety of platforms for private and public communications within the membership. You as a user have a right to opt out of receiving these emails and may do so by updating your subscription preferences online. If you have any questions regarding the use of subscriptions, please refer to the "help" files or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Offers and Updates
- We send all new members a welcoming email to verify password and username. Established members will also receive information from the RWA and an electronic newsletter (eNotes). Your private email address is used for all correspondence sent from RWA. Members may update their email preferences by visiting My Profile.
- Service Announcements
- On rare occasions, it is necessary to send out a strictly service-related announcement. For instance, if our service is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send users an email. Generally, users may not opt-out of these communications, though they can deactivate their account. However, these communications are not promotional in nature.
- Customer Service
- We communicate with users on a regular basis to provide requested services and in regards to issues relating to their account; we reply via email or phone, in accordance with the users wishes.
- Legal Disclaimer
- Though we make every effort to preserve user privacy, we may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on our website.
- Third Party Intermediaries
- On occasion, we use an outside shipping company to ship orders. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes.
- This website contains links to other sites. Please be aware that we, the RWA, are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this website.
This website takes every precaution to protect our users' information. When users submit sensitive information via the website, their information is protected both online and offline.
This website does not collect sensitive or financial information or (such as a credit card number and/or social security number). While on a secure page, the lock icon on the bottom of web browsers such as Firefox, Google Chrome or Microsoft Internet Explorer becomes locked, as opposed to unlocked, or open, when users are just "surfing." While we currently do not collect any of this type of information, it is possible we will provide services requiring this need in the future.
While we use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, we also do everything in our power to protect user information offline. All of our users' information, not just the sensitive information mentioned above, is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, our billing clerk or a customer service representative) are granted access to personally identifiable information. Furthermore, the servers that store personally identifiable information are in a secure environment.
If users have any questions about the security at our website, users can send an email to email@example.com.
6. Correcting/Updating/Deleting/Deactivating Personal Information
If a user's personally identifiable information changes (such as zip code, phone, email or postal address), or if a user no longer desires our service, we provide a way to correct, update or delete/deactivate users' personally identifiable information. This can usually be done on your profile or by emailing our Member Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, contact us via contact information listed below.
7. Notification of Changes
If, however, we are going to use users' personally identifiable information in a manner different from that stated at the time of collection, we will notify users via email. Users will have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in this different manner. However, if users have opted out of all communication with the site, or deleted/deactivated their account, then they will not be contacted, nor will their personal information be used in this new manner. In addition, if we make any material changes in our privacy practices that do not affect user information already stored in our database, we will post a prominent notice on our website notifying users of the change. In some cases where we post a notice, we will also email users, who have opted to receive communications from us, notifying them of the changes in our privacy practices.
8. Contact Information