RWA Service Awards are intended to honor major commitments of service to RWA and are presented for the accumulated body of effort a volunteer may make during a lifetime.
2018 RWA Service Award Recipients
Xio Axelrod is a USA Today best-selling author, as well as a finalist in both the 2018 Passionate Plume Awards and the 2018 RONE Awards. She writes different flavors of contemporary romance, and (what she likes to call) strange, twisted tales. In 2017, Xio founded the Philadelphia chapter of RWA. She is also a founding member of Philly Loves Romance, a group of authors dedicated to raising the profile of romance in the city of brotherly and sisterly love.
A USA Today bestseller, Robin Covington loves to explore the theme of fooling around and falling in love in her books. A 2016 RITA® Award finalist, Robin’s books have won the National Reader’s Choice and Golden Leaf Awards and finaled in the Romantic Times Reviewer’s Choice, and the Book Seller’s Best. She lives in Maryland with her handsome husband, her two brilliant children (they get it from her, of course!), and her beloved furbabies, Dutch and Dixie Joan Wilder (Yes – the Joan Wilder). Drop her a line at email@example.com — she always writes back.
Katie Dunneback attended her first RWA in 1999 in Chicago as a newly-minted college graduate. She officially joined RWA the following year and has since been active in her local and online chapters as she’s moved around the country, volunteering at the national level at the conference and on at least one committee, writing articles for the RWR, spreading the good word of RWA and the romance genre in the library community, and hosting the not-at-all-officially-sanctioned #RWA1st chats on Twitter among other activities. Katie publishes her fiction under a pen name (ask her!) to avoid confusion with her non-romance-writing sisters-in-law (yes, plural) who share the same first and last names.
Born British and raised in South Africa, Sarah Hegger suffers from an incurable case of wanderlust. Mimicking her globe trotting adventures, Sarah’s career path began as a gainfully employed actress, drifted into public relations, settled a moment in advertising, and eventually took root in the fertile soil of her first love, writing. She currently lives in Colorado with her teenage daughters, two Golden Retrievers and aforementioned husband. Part footloose buccaneer, part quixotic observer of life, Sarah’s restless heart is most content when reading or writing books.
Sarah is the recipient of the 2015 EPIC Award for Historical Romance.
USA Today best-selling author Jeannie Moon has always been a romantic. When she’s not spinning tales of her own, Jeannie works as a high school librarian, thankful she has a job that allows her to introduce kids to great books and call it work. Married to her high school sweetheart, Jeannie has three kids, three lovable dogs and resides in her hometown on Long Island, NY. She's a past president of Long Island Romance Writers, and a member of CTRWA and the Authors Guild.
Past RWA Service Award Recipients
- 2017: Victoria Alexander, Anne Elizabeth, Lucy Farago, Diane Kelly, Terri Molina, and Sharon Sobel
- 2016: Silver James, Cindy Kirk, Mellanie Szereto, & Lori Wilde
- 2015: Lynn Coddington & Barbara Dunlop
- 2014: Sylvia Day, Lorraine Heath, Stephanie Jones, & Renee Ryan
- 2013: Julie Hurwitz, Eloisa James, Donna MacMeans, & Trish Milburn
- 2012: Natalie Damschroder, Dorien Kelly, & Diane Pershing
- 2011: Amy Atwell, Nikki Enlow, Stephanie Feagan, & Linda Howard
- 2010: Madeline Hunter
- 2009: Karen Fox
- 2008: Nicole Burnham & Jill Limber
- 2007: Katy Cooper, Jennifer Crump, Pam McCutcheon, & Connie Newman
- 2006: Mary Strand & Nancy Haddock
- 2005: Jill Barnett, Gail Freeman, & Laura Hayden
- 2004: no award given
- 2003: Sunni Jeffers, Alicia Rasley, & Mary Stella
- 2002: Jill Floyd & Sandra Kitt
- 2001: Jeanne Nicholson, Maggie Shayne & Carol Stephenson
- 2000: Alice Countrymen & Linda Prine
- 1999: Brenda Hamilton, Shannon Snow Lewis, Betty Rosenthal, Valerie Taylor, & Susan Wiggs
- 1998: Laura Baker & Rita Clay Estrada
- 1997: Donna Caubarreaux, Laura DeVries, Lynda Hales, & Alfie Thompson
- 1996: Debra Dixon, Theresa Goodman, Anne Holmberg, Janet Kuchler, Kim Lewis, & Kate Welsh
- 1995: Rita Gallagher, Cathie Linz, Debbie Macomber, & Karan Richardson
- 1994: Margaret Brownley, Patt Marr, & Maggie Osborne
- 1993: Darlene Layman, Harold Lowry, & Nora Simpson
- 1992: Emma Merritt, Sharon Winn, Jan Boies, Glenda Kachelmeier, Susan Horton, Darlene Layman, & Claudia Yates
- 1991: Kathy Clark & Jeanne Triner
- 1990: Marian Jones