The RWA Steffie Walker Bookseller of the Year award is given annually to one special bookseller who provides outstanding service to romance readers and demonstrates notable support of romance authors and the romance genre.
2018 RWA Steffie Walker Bookseller of the Year
Crystal Perkins has always been a big reader and literacy advocate. Over a decade ago, her passion also became her career. While working for Borders, she formed bonds with customers and school librarians, who began buying whatever books she recommended. After moving to Barnes & Noble, she continued those relationships and also grew her store's business by selling books at romance events and business conventions. Currently, she consults with both The Writer's Block in Las Vegas and Lil Book Bug in Lancaster, California, while also working in the technology industry and writing her own books.
Crystal also volunteers with the Las Vegas Book Festival, where she created the young adult programming in 2011. She's expanded to coordinating all genre and middle grade programming, as well as an evening romance event for the festival.
Despite everything else keeping her busy, she never reads less than 150 books per year and loves discovering new authors to read and recommend!
Past Recipients of the RWA Steffie Walker Bookseller of the Year Award
- 2017: Bea and Leah Koch, The Ripped Bodice, Culver City, California
- 2016: Anna Brown, Katy Budget Books, Katy, Texas
- 2015: Tom Luce, New Book Buyer, Powell's Books, Portland, Oregon
- 2014: Edward Whitfill, Ukazoo Books, Towson, Maryland
- 2013: Cathy Genna, Barnes & Noble, East Brunswick, New Jersey
- 2012: Janeen Solberg, Turn the Page Bookstore, Boonsboro, Maryland
- 2011: Kaori Suzuki Fischer, Barnes and Noble, West Melbourne, Florida
- 2010: Gail Link, Barnes and Noble, Wilmington, Delaware
- 2009: Rosemary Potter, Rosemary's Romances, Australia
- 2008: Dianne Defonce, Borders, Fairfield, Connecticut
- 2007: Linda Keller, Barnes & Noble, West Chester, Ohio
- 2006: Vickie Denney, http://www.newandusedbooks.com
- 2005: Marcy Dodge, Borders Books & Music, Beaverton, Oregon
- 2004: Maureen Greene, Borders, Naperville, Illinois
- 2003: Kay Meriam, B. Dalton, Houston, Texas
- 2002: Cindi Streicher
- 2001: Mark Budrock, Waldenbooks, Paramus, New Jersey
- 2000: Beth Anne Steckiel, Beth Anne's Book Corner, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- 1999: Kathy Baker, Waldenbooks, Fort Worth, Texas
- 1998: Michelle Thorne, Bearly Used Books, West Covina, California
- 1997: Steffie Walker, manager, SuperCrown, Orland Park, Illinois
- 1996: Janet Carroll, formerly of The Book Emporium in Long Beach, California
- 1995: Donita Lawrence, Bell, Book, and Candle, Del City, Oklahoma
Historical note: This award was established in 1995 as RWA's Bookseller of the Year Award to honor Booksellers who go above and beyond in their support of the Romance genre, Romance authors, and Romance readers. In 1999 the name was changed to the Steffie Walker Bookseller of the Year Award in honor of the late Steffie Walker, a former recipient of the Bookseller of the Year Award.