Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Paper to Polished: Editing for Success?
Paper to Polished: Editing for Success is a five-month immersive program that matches Guide pairs with a Partner Circle of unpublished Participants, helping them realize the next goal in their publishing journey: self-editing their first-draft manuscript.
The Participants work together in small groups called Partner Circles with experienced author Guides to edit and revise the first draft of their romance novel or novella to satisfy that next step in the publishing process.
Participants will learn through self-study assignments that include books, articles, and exclusive audios and videos by experts, weekly group discussions in Partner Circles, writing assignments, and critiquing.
They have the opportunity to network with other Participants and Guides outside their Partner Circle through Groups.io and Zoom Meetings.
2. How will the program work?
This program uses a blended learning approach. The blend for Paper to Polished: Editing for Success is to use a combination of:
3. When will the program run?
Workshops delivered through on-demand learning materials including exclusive videos, articles, books, online assignments and Q/A, and writer’s tools such as checklists to help their Participants succeed.
- Discussions to answer questions and explore application of key concepts.
- Live virtual sessions with small groups, called Writing Partner Circles, to help apply learnings to the Participant’s manuscript, collaborate on writing, and build a community of support for Participants.
- Reference materials including RWA Conference videos and podcasts, external videos, websites, and podcasts, craft books, and articles for deeper study on workshop and related topics.
Paper to Polished: Editing for Success will run annually. The 2023–2024 program will begin with on-boarding in January 2024 and will end May 31, 2024. (See Program Dates
4. Can non-members participate?
Yes. Non-members can participate, provided that they meet the criteria listed for Participants. Please see the note in the Investment section
above that explains the advantages of joining RWA before enrolling in the program.
Non-members, we invite you to join RWA first, then register as a
member at the lower rate once you receive an email that your membership
is confirmed. RWA membership information may be found here. This is an
opportunity to both save money and receive the benefits of being a RWA
5. May I join RWA and then receive the discounted rate for the program?
Yes, you may join RWA, and then enroll in the program at the member rates.
6. How are Participants enrolled?
Participants are enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis, who meet the eligibility criteria and have a completed first-draft manuscript of their novel or novella, with the number of Participants contingent on the number of Guides available.
A wait-list will be established in case of additional availability during the first two weeks of the program.
7. Are scholarships available?
Some scholarships will be available. For more information and an application, visit the Scholarships page
8. What do Participants get out of it?
The Paper to Polished: Editing for Success program will guide Participants through the confusing maze of books and courses that exist for writers and give them skills they can use to edit not only their first novel, but future books as well including:
9. Is there a refund policy?
- Access to top-notch study materials and the chance to learn the craft from published romance writers.
- The opportunity to create mutual support networks with published and unpublished romance writers.
- Participants who successfully complete the program will receive a Certificate of Completion upon graduation.
Refunds will be processed for registrants who provide documentation to prove they were unable to attend the Paper to Polished: Editing for Success program due to circumstances beyond their control, such as serious illness or death of the registrant or the registrant’s immediate family member.
Refunds will be granted only if requested within the first seven (7) days of the program, minus a cancellation fee of $100.
10. When does the enrollment/application period open?
The 2023 enrollment period for Participants opens October 20, 2023, and closes November 20, 2023 (or when the program is full).
The 2023 application period for Guides opens September 1, 2023, and closes September 16, 2023.
Please thoroughly read all the information provided to be sure the Paper to Polished: Editing for Success Program is right for you. If you have further questions, please email email@example.com and we will respond as soon as possible!