Romance Industry Statistics
Explore the results of Romance Writers of America's research on the romance fiction industry. These statistics offer insights to help you understand this billion-dollar-a-year industry.
- Estimated annual total sales value of romance in 2013: $1.08 billion (source: BookStats)
- Romance unit share of adult fiction: 13% (source: Nielsen Books & Consumer Tracker, BISAC Romance)
- In what format are romance books being purchased? (source: Nielsen US Romance Landscape Q1 2014)
- E-books: 39%
- Mass-market paperback: 32%
- Trade paperback: 18%
- Hardcover: 9%
- Audio: 1%
- Other: 1%
- Who is the romance book buyer? (source: Nielsen Books & Consumer Tracker)
- Age of the romance book buyer: 30–54 years old (41%; source: Nielsen Romance Buyer Survey for RWA)
Permission is granted by Romance Writers of America to link to this page and/or use portions of the statistics. Do not reprint or copy this information in its entirety.